Cooking fire damages house

0
745
Knoxville firefighters work a Friday night house fire in East Knoxville. (Source: KFD)

A cooking fire came close to destroying an East Knoxville house Friday night but luckily no one was injured, authorities said. 

A woman living at 2812 Wilson Avenue called the Knox County E-911 Center to report that her kitchen was on fire at 9:48 p.m., according to Assistant Chief Mark Wilbanks of the Knoxville Fire Department.

“The caller advised everyone was in the process of getting out of the house,” Wilbanks said.  “On arrival of the first KFD company, heavy fire was reported coming from the structure. The first arriving companies quickly went to work making an interior fire attack.”

The fire crews managed to extinguish the flames within 11 minutes of the E-911 call, he said.

“The structure sustained heavy fire damage to the kitchen and attic spaces. The rest of the home has sustained smoke damage,” Wilbanks continued.

 The home was occupied by two adults and a child, and the American Red Cross was assisting them. 

“The fire has been determined to of been starter by unattended cooking items,” said Wilbanks. 

There were no working smoke alarms in the home.

Published on October 31, 2022.